Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Glasshouse is back with craigslist

The wonderful Glasshouse is back and I went along to their networking event yesterday evening. Not only did I catch up with old friends and meet some new ones but I also listened to Craig Newmark (who's quite short) and Jim Buckmaster (who's really tall) from craigslist telling us their fascinating story of how it all happened for them (wiki link), how the concept grew, how it's community based and driven by customers needs and wants, how they're growing globally and why they do what they do. It's also a relief to meet entrepreneurs like Craig Newmark, who are genuninely nice folk. Check his blog to find out what he thinks of haggis (I'm veggie so don't partake in this kind of food)...

Also in the audience was Charles Handy, yes he of management guru fame. I chatted to him and his photographer wife Elizabeth after the event and they were both charming. I was so tongue tied though that I not only didn't ask him any pertinent questions nor did I take a picture with my cameraphone. d'oh. But I did find out that Elizabeth and I were both mature students at the University of Westminster. Still, meeting two authors in two weeks, that's not bad going. Wonder who'll be next?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean please. Spam will be removed. And thank you for taking the trouble to read and comment. I appreciate it.